I have never been a big dessert person, as I would much rather have a crunchy snack than something sweet and sugary. Like chips, mmmmm chips. However, ice cream (and froyo) has such a rich, creamy texture and delicious icy taste. But, to those of us with dairy allergies, ice cream is like frozen death. Sweet, sweet frozen death. Granted, there are a vast variety of vegan ice creams out there- almond, soy, coconut, but they never quite match up to the real thing (although, in my opinion, soy ice cream is the closest replica). The texture isn’t quite right, the mouthfeel is wrong, and the taste is always a little off. Furthermore, even though they are vegan and contain no animal products, they always seem to mess with my stomach. All that cream and fat- real, fake, or otherwise- just doesn’t sit well with our bodies. That’s why I LOVE smoothies. I make them very thick and eat them with a spoon so they’re almost like a sorbet. However, I wanted to create something a little more like ice cream and a little less like sorbet.
This Chocolate Almond Cookie Ice Cream is da domb. Not only is it creamy, smooth, cold, and delicious, it’s also gluten free, vegan, and packed with protein! Therefore, it makes a great dessert, but also a great post-workout snack. Ice cream after a workout sans the guilt? Um, yes please. Furthermore, this smoothie contains real fruit, and we can always use more fruit in our lives!
Chocolate Almond Cookie Ice Cream (GF Vegan)
2 Frozen Ripe Bananas
¼ Cup Unsweetened Original Almond Milk
1 ½ tbsp Justin’s Honey Almond Butter
½ Scoop Plant Fusion Cookies and Cream Protein Powder (GF Vegan)
1. Slice two ripe bananas- they should have brown spots on them.
2. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
2. Place frozen bananas, ½ scoop Plant Fusion Cookies and Cream Protein Powder, and 1 ½ tbsp Justin’s Honey Almond Butter into a food processor and blend. The mixture will be clumpy and dry.
3. Add ¼ cup unsweetened original almond milk (or desired almond) and blend until smooth, creamy consistency is reached.
This “Ice Cream” is insanely good and good for you!
- The Plant Fusion Protein Powder is rich with plant-based protein complete with all essential amino acids provided by quinoa, amaranth, yellow peas, and globe artichoke. This protein powder contains Bromelain and Alpha-Galactosidase, which aids digestion (no more bloated protein belly!).
- Almond butter is also packed with protein, but carries the added benefit of healthy unsaturated fats, calcium, copper, fiber, vitamin E, and magnesium.
- Bananas, known for their high potassium and low sodium content can help lower blood pressure. Furthermore, bananas contain prebiotics (for healthy intestinal flora), tryptophan (which is converted into serotonin- the happy neurotransmitter), vitamin B-6 (for a healthy immune system), and iron (to help prevent anemia.. important for those who live a vegan lifestyle!).
- Laslty, almond milk contains calcium, vitamin D, and protein for strong bones without the cholesterol or saturated fat found in animal milk.